Consultant Specialists of BC is the only voice for all Specialists on broad issues affecting Specialist practice
- essential counter-balance to the strong family physician lobby
- forum to discuss and debate issues of importance to Specialty care
- promotes inter-Specialty understanding and development of informed advocacy positions
- advocates for all Specialists regardless of payment modality (fee for service and non-FFS)
- provides the Specialist perspective to partner organizations (Doctors of BC, BC Family Doctors, College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC and joint collaborative committees with government) to promote issues that are critical to the provision of specialist care
These issues are important to all sections, but fall outside the scope of individual Specialty sections to address effectively.
Notable accomplishments by Consultant Specialists of BC
- achieved equal representation with family physicians in Doctors of BC governance
- was first to advocate for the necessary preamble changes to allow telehealth/phone billing for specialists in response to COVID-19
- ensured business cost premium was extended to telehealth codes
- removed restrictions on communication codes (10000 series) while promoting more codes to parallel GPs
- secured $1000-per-Specialist fee for COVID-19 planning in community practice
- advocates for protection of Specialist terminology to protect from public confusion and to maintain the integrity of our nomenclature
- ensures that future referral systems pay/work for the Specialist receiving the referral, both functionally and economically (on going)
Are you alternately paid? Salary? Sessional? Consultant Specialists of BC has an APP member at large and we contribute to the main physician negotiations which in turn dictate APP remuneration levels and the salary grid.
Join the Consultant Specialists of BC now
If you’re already a Doctors of BC member:
Tap the green Join now! box at right to get you to the Doctors of BC website. Once there enter your Doctors of BC ID number and password to login. Scroll down to Specialists of BC, hit the plus sign and check off the appropriate dues category, then tap the blue Join the Selected Sections and Societies box and hit Checkout to make a secure payment using your credit card.